LOOKING FOR ME? SO AM I


It has been 1 month and 4 days since I left home.
I left the verdant views of Blantyre Blues and headed to the jagged and jazzy metropolis of Johannesburg in pursuit of a higher education and expansion. Towards the end of last year, I got accepted to the University of Wits and thus began my journey of transition and integration in mid-January and it's been a wild ride since.
There are a plethora of emotions and experiences that I am going through, which I am finding hard to articulate because of awe. I am amazed at the beauty and dangers of this city. I am in awe of the academic, social and cultural impact of WITS on myself, other students, the country and the rest of the world. I am humbled and in awe of the privilege and opportunity that I have being part of this elite institution as an ambitious, idealistic artist from Malawi. I am pleasantly overwhelmed by the high standards of excellence, discipline, and growth expected from me at both an individual and relational level. I was told that as a creative, Joburg is the best place to thrive in and I am ecstatic about this. 
Every day, I feel my mental and creative understanding expand as I am constantly challenged to catch up on readings, engage in discussions, analyze the world around me, ask questions and meet deadlines as I also juggle my spiritual, emotional, psychological and physical needs. There is an urgency for me to find my feet as I simultaneously enjoy the experience, it's like I did a pin drop into a deep pool and I need to swim up to the surface.
My favourite thing about change is that it always comes with newness and expectations. I find myself in need of learning and unlearning. Habits are being created, broken, and strengthened. My critical and articulatory skills are improving as I learn to defend my values while embracing perspectives different from my own. My standards and goals are being defined and redefined by my priorities. My favourite highlight of this journey is how much I am practicing kindness towards myself, which is making me love myself more. 
I hope in time to share about the course I am studying, and why I chose it. Until then, I am enjoying the journey to the surface and reminding myself to breathe on the way.


God bless these 20 somethings. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW BEGINNINGS. AGAIN.

ANXIETY vs AMBITION

NEW BEGINNINGS