OF POETRY AND WINS

Just as last week was coming to a close, I got a surprising and exciting phone call that made me do a three minute happy dance in my room. Several months ago I entered a poem entitled "Open Secret," which is about sexuality and the taboo that surrounds discussing it in our Malawian/African context to a Poetry and Short Story Competition hosted by Makewana's Daughters and they called to inform me that I had won 2nd place in the Poetry category! Their website has some great content from women and it was inspiring to read such intimate and vivid work as I reviewed my own trying to figure out what I was going to submit. I spent days going over my poems, editing and shortlisting options. I usually enjoy that part of the process though it comes with stress. The stress of having to pick the "right" or "perfect" poem. The stress of seeing unfinished poems, one liners and cheesy poems that should never see the light of day. The stress of realizing that I don't write as much as I should. After I submitted the piece, I went through the usual anxiety ridden roller coaster of emotions that comes with waiting which in my case can last anywhere between a few hours and a few months, depending on how badly I want the prize. Don't get me wrong, at some point in time I either accept the silent rejection or try to forget the competition entirely.
Every writer wants to believe that they will win the contests they submit to even though we know its beyond our control and impossible with so many talented people thinking the same thing. The real test comes as you wait to hear the outcome and the fight between ego and humility grows until time teaches you to develop thick skin while simultaneously accepting that though you are not the best at that moment, you are still enough.

Though I have performed more times than I have been published, I do not consider myself a spoken word artist. I started writing when I was 8 years old and my first official live performance was in 2014 back when Open Mic Poetry sessions used to happen at Old Mibawa, I even got to perform with my mum once which was really special. After that I got to perform on radio, T.V, events (as a supporting act and independently), open mic shows, workshops and even at church. My first published piece was in 2012 after I was shortlisted for "Generation Hope: A Poetry Anthology by Young Malawian Writers," which was published after the Malawi National Youth Poetry Contest that aimed to encourage poets to express themselves regarding the challenges and opportunities in the country. Over the years there were a couple of features on a few websites including one that rewarded me a free photo shoot last year after I was voted best poet on the site. Check out these artsy shots from the session:





Music has also played a big part in shaping my life and poetry which has led to features on some really cool tracks over the years including Interlude / Meet Sharon Kadangwe (2014), Scenes ft Sharon (2017), On My Way ft ItsFriday & Sharon (2018) and most recently on "Snakes" and "Ndasiya" on Dvmiwrong's tape which came out in August this year.  Anyone who knows me well enough has heard me talk about my plans to release my own poetry/music project which is currently in the works and will be released soon (don't @ me about dates).

Poetry has helped me deal with a lot of ups and downs in my own life and to process what happens in the world around me. Realizing all the opportunities that have been afforded to me just because I managed to string some words together into clever lines has been a weighty yet wonderful honor. I have been suffering from a spell of writers block lately due to my poetry muscle atrophying but I am trying to slowly exercise it back to life by challenging myself to write a poem everyday and regularly submitting my work for contests. Any true artist will tell you how the self doubt never stops even when the accolades and recognition come in though we cant deny receiving those things makes us feel good. Poetry has taught me the importance of honesty and how art without truth is shallow. Its taught me that my best work is usually the one where I am most vulnerable and that is something I am learning to become more comfortable with. Its a good thing when you can create something that connects with someone, that is the deepest desire of any artist. Another part of the artist also loves it when they get to receive free stuff for their work, its called balance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW BEGINNINGS. AGAIN.

NEW BEGINNINGS

ANXIETY vs AMBITION